This is my own recipe for a very light and creamy mochaccino cheesecake, using as many FAIRTRADE ingredients as I could find! I combined several of my favourite cheesecake recipes to come up with it and it’s mighty delicious. You can taste the chocolate and the coffee but its mild enough that the 5 year old loves it too!
I am blogging this recipe in support of the fairtrade cause and as part of the Tots100 “Bake it Fair” competition. I am pleased that I managed to use 5 different fairtrade certified ingredients in this recipe. You can find out more about Fairtrade products here
For the Base
250g Chocolate chip cookies (hard crunchy ones – not soft bakes)
125g Unsalted Butter
For the Topping
125g Soft Cream Cheese
40g Fairtrade Icing Sugar (I used Tate & Lyle)
40g Fairtrade Cocoa (I used Cadbury)
300ml Whipped Double Cream
2 tbsp Ground Fairtrade Coffee (I used Starbucks)
6 tbsp Boiling water
2 tsp Gelatine
1 Bar of Fairtrade Chocolate (I used Green & Blacks)
1 Fairtrade Banana
- Crush the biscuits and mix with the butter until thoroughly combined and almost doughy. (I used a food processor as it only took a few seconds that way!)
- Push the biscuits flat into the bottom of a cake tin & refridgerate for half an hour.
(If short on time, ten minutes in the freezer should do the trick!)
- Using a cafetiere, brew the Fairtrade coffee and water for 4 minutes & plunge. Pour the coffee into a saucepan (make sure you leave the grounds behind – you don’t need them anymore).
- Bring the coffee to just below a simmer and sprinkle on the gelatine. Stir continuously until the gelatine dissolves. Once disolved, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whilst biscuit base is chilling and coffee/gelatine mix is cooling. In a clean bowl, mix the soft cream cheese, mascarpone, Fairtrade cocoa powder and Fairtrade icing sugar, together in an electric mixer or food processor.
- Once cool, add the coffee/gelatine mix to the creamy chocolatey mix. Add the whipped cream also and mix thoroughly.
- Dip a finger in and taste! You should be able to taste the coffee and the chocolate.
- Pour mixture on top of chilled base and put in the refridgerator. Leave for several hours or overnight.
- Grate or curl the Fairtrade Chocolate and sprinkle on top of the cheesecake
- Serve with slices of Fairtrade Banana (optional)