Why would I want to take all the tasty stuff (butter, milk, eggs) out of a cake? I’m not a vegan, I’m not intolerant and I LOVE dairy. Well, because having Thyroid Cancer, means that prior to scans and also treatment, I have to suffer two weeks of the worst diet in the world – a low iodine diet! Iodine is a trace mineral, so it is not listed in ingredients on food items.
What contains iodine?
It would be easier to ask, what doesn’t! Nearly everything you buy in the shops, contains iodine. Iodine is not bad for you, and is a healthy part of a normal diet; which makes is virtually impossible for Thyroid Cancer patients, to find things they can eat. Last time around, I didn’t cope very well with the low iodine diet.
Food that are highest in iodine (and on my banned list when I have to do the diet) are:
Salt (unless you KNOW it is non-iodised salt – salt is most often iodised / sea / rock)
Leafy Vegetables & some other vegetables
Red Food Dye
Fish/Seafood or anything from the sea
Some beans (kidney beans)
Much much more!
So as this weeks Great British Bake Off challenge was to make a Dairy Free vegetable cake, I am slightly altering mine – instead of a dairy free vegetable cake, I am making a dairy free, egg free, soya free, vegan, low sodium, low iodine chocolate cake (without vegetables)! This is not only suitable for people on a low iodine diet, but also for a lot of people with food intolerances.
- 300g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 300g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp LO Salt Original (this is low iodine & low sodium)
- 60ml Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 200ml Almond Milk (shop bought or home made)
- 140 ml Cold Water
- Rasperry or Black Cherry Jam
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 25g Cocoa
- 1 tbsp. Water
- Place the sugar, lo-salt, cocoa into a food processor bowl
- Sift half the flour in & mix on high for 5 seconds.
- Switch mixer on low and add all the wet ingredients through the funnel.
- Mix for 20 seconds.
- Add the rest of the sifted flour and mix for a further 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a greased, lined cake tin.
- Bake on 175 degrees Fan Assisted for 1 hour.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool
- Once cool, halve the cake and spread raspberry jam in the middle, and sandwich back together.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa
- Add the water and mix well
- Spread over the cake (once cooled) and decorate with sugared décor (optional)
- If you are making a nut free version - swap the 200ml Almond Milk for 200ml Cold Water.
- For shorter cooking times - divide the mixture between two or three tins.
I also have a very exciting GBBO themed giveaway of a £50 voucher to spend in Debenhams cookware department. To enter, use the rafflecopter below. You have until a few hours after the final of #GBBO finishes on TV!